OF ARMS & MAXIM
The crest is laden with eight sable Besants with a
Knight on a gold background. This coat of arms is
very ancient. It is the Trottier fellowship’s
coat of arms. It is a reminder of this family’s
courageous journey to settle in the French Colony,
with barely 100 or so settlers.
Their maxim is in Latin and is a greeting; a reminder
that we are at the service of our guests and that
we cordially welcome you to our house as if it were
"DOMUS MEA UT DOMUS TUA MDCCXXV"
"MY HOUSE IS YOUR HOUSE 1725"
OF THE HOTEL
Calvet house was built in 1725 inside the
city's fortified walls, under the French regime.
It is the oldest historical house that is
open for public accommodations in Montreal.
Located at the corner of Bonsecours and Saint-Paul
streets, it is massive and imposing with its
stone walls and enormous chimney's.
Bonsecours Street is located in the heart
of Old-Montreal at a walking distance of the
Old-Port. It is one of the oldest in the city
with its cobble stone street. The chapel Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours
and the Maison Pierre du Calvet are surrounded
by historic homes that date from the XVIIIth
and XIXth century.
HISTORY OF THE TROTTIER FAMILY AND OF THE
In 1960, following the closing of the Bonsecours market and
the gardeners abandoning the Jacques-Cartier Place, the Old-Montreal
district was totally deserted and counted only about 200 or
so dwellers. The city of Montreal had planned the demolition
of the neighbourhood in order to construct a highway along
the banks of the Saint-Laurence River. To oppose this decision
and save the historic neighbourhood, a consciousness campaign
was organised and pioneers undertook the renovation of strategic
buildings in Old-Montreal.
In 1962, Jean-Jacques Trottier and Gertrude Beaupré
Trottier decided to relocate their family and seven children
to the old house Pierre du Calvet where they founded the restaurant
Les Filles du Roy. They furnished it with family antiques,
wicker chairs with counterpane cushions made of boys pants
and family portraits adorning the walls.
The renaissance of Old-Montreal had begun.
Trottier and his associate Ronald Dravigné, later became
the owners of the Calvet house, transforming it into a fine
grocery store and café where they held cultural meetings
called "Thursdays at Calvet". Over time they joined
the contiguous house to the original Calvet house and created
what is known today as The Pierre du Calvet Hostelries with
its warm and magic familial atmosphere.
The vision that motivated the Trottier family and actual owners
resides in the conservation and protection of this historical
Their mission today consists in sharing this jewel by offering
an unforgettable stay in a warm and stylish atmosphere where
clients can discover this history of the House and that of
its inhabitants by indulging all their senses with emotion